What are requirements to open a business?

To open a business, the property must be zoned properly for the type of business, please call the Planning & Zoning Department to verify zoning.  Sign permits are required for all signs. 


Chamber of Commerce

Fairfield Economic & Development Association

Iowa Department of Economic Development - Starting a Business

Can I run a business in my home?

Certain low impact businesses can be run from home. Regulations are in place to ensure that home businesses are compatible with residential neighborhoods. The business may only occupy one room of the home or in a detached garage. Signs are limited in size and content, retail display of goods are limited, and only the resident of the home may work in a home based business. Other regulations are also in place.

Show All Answers

1. Phone Numbers
2. Animals
3. City Forms & Information
4. Business
5. Zoning - What is it and how does it affect my property
6. How do I find out who my City Council representative is?
7. How do I find out what ward (precinct) I live in?
8. How do I request to address the City Council?
9. How do I contact the Fairfield Area Chamber of Commerce?
10. How do I get a license for my dog?