The following is voter registration information provided by the Jefferson County Auditor Office. You can reach them by calling (641) 472-2840.
To register to vote in Iowa, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a resident of Iowa
- Be at least 17 1/2 years old (you must be 18 to vote)
- Not have been convicted of a felony (or have had your rights restored)
- Not currently judged by a court to be "incompetent to vote"
- Give up your right to vote in any other place
Deadlines for Registering to Vote
You must register at least ten days before Primary or General Elections and 11 days before any other election. You may register after the deadline, but your registration will not be effective until after that election. However, a registration form postmarked at least 15 days before an election will be accepted for that election even if it is received after the deadline to register to vote.
Registration is permanent. After you register, you do not have to register again unless you move to a new address.
Contact the Jefferson County Auditor Office in the Jefferson County Courthouse to obtain the information and application forms for registration to vote.